Saturday 1 November 2014

He shared

Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.  - Hebrews 2.14-15

I am sitting here typing away and getting a little frustrated that it is becoming obvious that I need yet another update to my glasses. The limitations of living in flesh and blood are bothersome. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that my heart beats and my lungs works and I am pretty healthy and able to get out and walk every day and all that. Saying that, flesh and blood can be a bother. I was up all night last night with a toothache. Now, that is not that big a deal in the eternal scheme of things – but it sure is a pain at the moment.

Why would anyone choose to take on flesh and blood if they didn't have to do so?

And that is what Jesus did for us. From the glories of heaven Jesus chose to veil His deity and take on all the problems of flesh and blood. He chose to subject Himself to hunger and thirst and weariness and getting dirty and all the rest. He didn't have to do that - so why did He?

Jesus shared in our flesh and blood for one reason only. He had to become flesh and blood so He could die and He had to die to defeat Satan, the one who has the power of death. And because He did that Satan is defeated. As foretold way back in Genesis Satan bruised Christ’s heel, but Christ crushed Satan’s head.


The God of heaven loved me enough to take on flesh and blood, and then die in that flesh and blood so that He could defeat the one who is the cause of death. 

No comments: