Saturday 29 November 2014

Not knowing

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. – Hebrews 11.8

Early in the great ‘Hall of Faith’ of Hebrews 11 we read about one of the really tremendous acts of faith. I find it especially challenging because of the two little words ‘not knowing.’

Genesis 12.1-2 gives us the background of this passage. Now the LORD had said to Abram: "Get out of your country, From your family And from your father's house, To a land that I will show you. I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing.

When I put myself in Abraham’s sandals I can’t even imagine making the decision he did. I would be more like ‘What? You mean you want me to load everything up and take off with my family and move? And not only move You aren’t even going to tell me where to go? For real God?’

Not knowing is a terrible dilemma for me. I really, really like to know what is going on. I have a couple of great unknowns for my future that really scare me. I don’t know the future – but neither did Abraham. So what did Abraham do? Genesis 12.4 tells us. ‘So Abram departed as the LORD had spoken to him…

Abram just did it. He just obeyed God even though He didn’t know.


Abram did not know where God was leading or what God was doing. But His faith allowed him to follow. Oh for the grace of God in my life that I could trust even in those situations where I don’t know. 

No comments: