Sunday 16 November 2014

Saved to the uttermost

Also there were many priests, because they were prevented by death from continuing. But He, because He continues forever, has an unchangeable priesthood. Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. – Hebrews 7.23-25

The concept of eternal security in salvation is something that has been hotly debated since the very beginning of church. I am sure that I can be accused of presenting a view here from my own personal bias, but it seems to me like this verse is pretty clear about who does the saving and who does the completion of salvation as well. 

Human priests could only do do much. They offered their regular sacrifices as their duty required. But priests were limited because they themselves were mere men and because, at the end of the day – they died. When they died their service was over. That just makes sense. 

But Christ is different because He is the High Priest who lives forever and never changes. Because He is alive today and sitting at the right hand of God interceding for me He is the One who saves me to the very, very end, or, if you will, the uttermost. 

Keeping myself saved can’t be up to me. Jesus saved me forty years ago and that salvation was not temporary. It was forever, to the very very end. He has secured an inheritance which cannot fade away. 

I thank God that He saved me to the uttermost and it is not up to me. May I life a live that reflects His eternal salvation to the world around me. 

No comments: