Thursday 18 December 2014

Be content

Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?” – Hebrews 13.5-6

Let your lives be lived without being covetous. In other words, to put it bluntly, stop wanting what others have. Instead be content with what you have.

It’s kind of funny, not ‘ha-ha funny’ but ironic funny; but I had an incident yesterday where this very thing happened to me. A good friend told me that God had provided a great need that made their life easier. Do you think my first response was to rejoice with them? No – my first thought was to think of how much I would have loved to have that need met in my own life. My first feelings were fleshly – in fact, it might very well be said that I coveted his good news.

That got me to thinking. There is an area where I really struggle trusting God. I don’t want to share it here, but I struggle with being content in this matter. I know deep down that God can and will take care of it – but there are times when I am attacked by doubts and fears. And today I am confronted with this verse. Don’t covet – be content with what you have. I also know that in another place the Bible equates covetousness with idolatry.

What I need –and what anyone else needs who deals with these things needs – is to remember Jesus’ precious promise.

‘I will never, ever, no matter what, leave you or forsake you.’

If we really and truly believed that promise those fear and discontent and such would lose their power.


May I God increase my faith, and may I trust Him enough to rejoice in the fact that He knows what I need and He is always, always going to be there for me. I believe Lord, help my unbelief. 

No comments: