Friday 26 December 2014

Our Completer

Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. – Hebrews 13.20-21

Hebrews has been an amazing book to go through. Every time I read thing I am reminded of all the wonderful teachings and lessons and practical applications it has. Here at the conclusion we have a wonderful benediction and blessing and prayer for the church. I could probably have stretched this to several days but I like the impact of it all put together.

It starts with ‘may the God of peace…’ We are reminded right away that peace, not turmoil is what God wants for us. We are reminded that He is the God of peace, not conflict. We are reminded that He is the God of unity, not division.

And that God of peace raised Jesus from the dead. By raising Jesus from the dead He made eternal peace with the God of peace possible.

He is the Great Shepherd of Psalm 23 who allows us to say ‘I will not want.’

He is the everlasting Covenant Maker through the blood of Christ. When He promised me eternal life He meant it lasted for eternity – because He keeps the covenant.

And finally He is our Completer. Earlier we read about Jesus being the beginner and the ender of our faith. He will one day make us perfect and mature and wanting nothing. As He completes us He enables is to accomplish His good please so that in all things Christ is glorified.


I am grateful that the completing of my life is up to Him. If it were up to me I am sure I would fall far, far short. Jesus, in a very real sense, completes me. And I am glad He does. 

No comments: