Tuesday 27 January 2015

To do good

Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. – James 4.17

Many, many years ago I sat in a service in Phillip’s Chapel. It was a an old (really old) church building at Highland Park Baptist Church. I don’t if it is even there now. It was a church building that was being used as a chapel for Tennessee Temple Baptist College. I am not sure if it was a chapel service or an overflow service for the main church.

The preacher went on a ‘rant’ that I still chuckle about. I knew even less now than I know then, but I knew this fella got carried away with this verse. He went on with bullet points like this:

Is it good to go to church Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night?
Is it good to pray 2-3 hours a day?
Is it good to read your Bible more than you watch TV?
Is it good to share the gospel with every person you meet?
And so on and so on it went.

I only bring that up because it sticks in my mind. And, even though he was over the top and legalistic in making such a list and screaming ‘TO HIM IT IS SIN!!’ he does have a point. When we know God’s word and know what He says is good and we refuse to do it we are in sin.

I prefer the verse that defines ‘good’ more as our attitude that a lists of dos and don’ts. ‘God has shown you what is good and what the Lord requires of you – to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

That’s not all that ‘good’ is, but it’s a pretty good place to start. If we do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God the rest will fall into place.

We know what ‘good’ is. We know how to ‘do good.’ We don’t need a list of rules – all we need is to do it.


And if we don’t? Well the rest of the verse is pretty clear. Isn’t it? 

No comments: