Thursday 5 February 2015

My inheritance

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. – 1 Peter 1.3-5

A few years ago a relative of my mom died. I think he was a first cousin, or maybe a second cousin. He died intestate and with no immediate family. The lawyers began tracking down the family he did have and eventually they got to the cousins. My mom of course had died so here share of the estate was split between us six children. My mom’s share would have been about 1/18th of the estate. So that mean each of us would receive 1/104 of the estate ( I think my numbers are right). But we had to wait and wait and wait for our inheritance. I don’t know what the original estate was worth, by I am sure taxes and fees and legal costs and all that greatly reduced the amount we eventfully received. The original shares kept fading away. While the inheritance was nice, it wasn’t what it had been. 

That is the way most inheritances work – but we have one that is:

Incorruptible
Undefiled
Does not fade away

My eternal inheritance is safe. It is not going to be frittered away. I don’t have to share this with anyone else – we all get 100% of this one. 

I am an heir, and not only that, I am a joint heir with Christ. I have already inherited all the joys of eternity with Christ. He already meets my needs from the riches of heaven itself. I don’t have to wait to begin to enjoy this inheritance today and the blessings will go on for eternity. 

Praise God for my eternal inheritance – and give me the faith to enjoy its blessings today. 

No comments: