Friday 13 February 2015

Redeemed

And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear; knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you who through Him believe in God, who raised Him from the dead and gave Him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God. – 1 Peter 1.17-21

Redemption is an interesting word. Here are the the definitions in dictionary.com.

1 to buy or pay off; clear by payment: to redeem a mortgage.
2 to buy back, as after a tax sale or a mortgage foreclosure.
3 to recover (something pledged or mortgaged) by payment or other satisfaction: to redeem a pawned watch.
4 to exchange (bonds, trading stamps, etc.) for money or goods.
5 to convert (paper money) into specie.
6 to discharge or fulfill (a pledge, promise, etc.).
7 to make up for; make amends for; offset (some fault, shortcoming, etc.): His bravery redeemed his youthful idleness.
8 to obtain the release or restoration of, as from captivity, by paying a ransom.
9 Theology. to deliver from sin and its consequences by means of a sacrifice offered for the sinner.

It is interesting that most of these definitions describe what happened when we were redeemed. A payment was cleared for sin. We were bought back even though we were originally owned buy God. We were recovered from the ravages of sin. Our rags were exchanged for Jesus’ righteousness. We were convert from hell-bound to heaven-bound. We were fulfilled in Christ. Our lack was made up for. We were released from our servanthood to sin. 

All of that was done, not by anything that was corruptible – but by the precious blood of Christ. My hope therefore is not in me or my works or my religion or my goodness or my practice. My faith and my hope is only in the shed blood of Christ. 

Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed through His infinite mercy,
His child and forever I am.

Refrain
Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed, redeemed,
His child and forever I am.

Redeemed, and so happy in Jesus,
No language my rapture can tell;
I know that the light of His presence
With me doth continually dwell.

I think of my blessèd Redeemer,
I think of Him all the day long:
I sing, for I cannot be silent;
His love is the theme of my song.

I know there’s a crown that is waiting,
In yonder bright mansion for me,
And soon, with the spirits made perfect,
At home with the Lord I shall be.

Praise God that my redemption was not paid through things that don’t last – but by the precious blood of Christ. 

What a price. What a Saviour!

No comments: