Saturday 21 March 2015

Divine power

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. – 2 Peter 2.1-4

Sometimes I feel really powerless when it comes to getting this Christian life right. Why can’t I just do something and get it all sorted and do it all right? 

I don’t really know – but I do know one thing, it is not God’s fault. 

God gives us all we need to live a godly life. He gives us the power to do it. He has empowered us not with human ability, but with His divine power and He has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness. 

Those words might sound a little confusing, but the truth is really simple. While we are living in this wicked old world and trying to do right we can rest assured that we can’t and we don’t have to do it all alone. We are empowered by the divine power of God to do all that is required of us in life and godliness. 

So when I fail, and I do, it is not a matter of not having the power – I have all I need in Christ. It is a matter of what I choose to do. It is a matter of me choosing my will and my power over God’s will and God’s power. 

God’s divine power is the power of ‘let these be light.’ Surely that is enough power to take care of my life and to give me victory over my sins and temptations. 

No comments: