Saturday 14 March 2015

Submit to one another

Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.” – 1 Peter 5.5

Submitting to other people is never easy. ‘Why should I submit to him/her? They are no better than I am!’ 

It starts out okay – ‘submit yourselves to your elders.’ Okay, I guess that makes sense. God has given us godly leaders. They are entrusted with our souls. God has given them to us to equip us for our service. I can submit to my spiritual leaders. 

But Peter slips something else in here – all of you be submissive to one another. 

Someone asked be recently what it meant to submit to each other. I think that submitting to each other is a simple as everyone putting everyone else first. 

Submission seems a vital part of faith. Submission is the surest picture of humility. 

So submission is as simple as putting others first. It doesn’t mean that we mindlessly do anything anyone tells us to do – it simple we we submit to other’s needs before ours. These letters are written to the church. Surely I can step back and submit my self interests to the needs of my brothers and sisters in Christ. 

No comments: