Sunday 12 April 2015

Full joy

And these things we write to you that your joy may be full. – 1 John 1.4

Not only did God want us to have fellowship – he wantedussto have absolute, unmitigated, unreserved, pure, and full joy. 

Real joy is something we all want. We can stir up happiness, but we can’t stir up true joy. True joy must come from inside. Happiness depends on circumstances and situations. Joy is not contingent on those things. 

True, full joy only comes from the firm assurance and abiding presence that only comes from knowing Christ. Fullness of joy means that I know, no matter what comes my way, I have Christ and my eternity is secure. Full joy means I can rejoice even when trials come because I know that my trials will make me more like Christ. Real joy allows me carry on when it seems like everything else is falling apart. Full joy keeps my eyes on what I can’t see – not on the visible, temporal things I can see. 

Jesus came to provide real joy. It is there if we are willing to trust Him and stop trying to do it ourselves.

There is a great old little known hymn by Joseph Carlson. It speaks to those who need to come to Christ. Those who are already saved to to rest in its truths. 

If you want joy, real joy, wonderful joy;
Let Jesus come into your heart;
If you want joy, real joy, wonderful joy;
Let Jesus come into your heart.
Your sins He'll wash away,
Your night He'll turn to day,
Your life He'll make it over anew;
If you want joy, real joy, wonderful joy;
Let Jesus come into your heart.

No comments: