Sunday 19 April 2015

Walking like Jesus

Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked. – 1 John 2.3-6

How do we know that we know Him? How do we know that we are His? What is the test to see if we belong to Him?

Obviously we are not perfect. We still have to deal with our sin. But those who are truly ‘in Christ’ this passage says  keep Christ’s commandments, if not we are liars and His truth is not really in us. We keep His word and that is the evidence that God’s love is perfected in us. If we are truly in Christ we walk as He walked.

The old classic ‘In His Steps’ was written by Charles Sheldon and published in 1896. It has a few problems, but it puts forth the question ‘What would Jesus do?’ as the guide for how Christians are supposed to live.

That is quite a test. We ought to ask ourselves ‘when people see my life do they see Christ?’ As we reflect the light of the gospel our lives out to reflect the Light Himself. Do people see Jesus in me?

If I am truly in Christ and He is in me then it would be impossible to hide Him in my life. For true believers Jesus will shine through.

Does my life reflect ‘Christ lives in me?’ Is there evidence that I walk in Him?

No comments: