Friday 1 May 2015

Hatred is murder

In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother. For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another, not as Cain who was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother's righteous...We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.  1 John 3.10-12; 14-15

He who does not love his brother abides in death. Whoever hates his brothers is a murderer.

Wow. That makes it all pretty clear. Love makes all the difference. Love is the greatest test of all. Jesus said as much when He said ‘love God and love others’ to summarise the Law. It might even be said that Jesus’ law is the law of love.

We know all of this – why then is there such a hateful mean spirit in so much of the church? I understand why there is hatred in the world. The world does not know the love of God. But there are times when a world who does not know the love of God is more loving and caring and compassionate than parts of the church.

The scriptures makes no allowance for hatred among the brethren. In fact, it says that it just can’’t be. If we hate a brother in Christ we are murderers and no murderer has eternal life in him. Surely we are going to get angry. We are going to blow it sometimes. We are going to do and say things that don’t reflect love. If we do that and then realise our error, repent and apologise, then sort things out we are on the right track. We prove that our love is real enough to humble ourselves and make things right.

How though do those who claim to be believers hold on to what looks like long term hatred for other Christians? I hope I don’t do that. I hope that even when I am offended or hurt or angered that I can continue to love my brethren.

I am challenged by this at the moment because yesterday I had something happen where a brother hurt me by treating me poorly. I was angry and even though we talked yesterday I still am upset by what he did. When things like that happen we need to be careful that our upset doesn’t develop in to bitterness and verge on hatred.

We are going to see a lot more about love in the next few days so I think I’ll stop there.

No comments: