Wednesday 20 May 2015

That you might prosper

The Elder, To the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth: Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. – 3 John 3.1-2

John wrote this third letter to a man called Gaius, someone who John said that ‘he loved in the truth.’ I love that fact that we are allowed to have a little peak into a personal letter between  tow close friends in the early church. We don’t know who this Gaius is. It would be nice to tie him into one of the other Gaius in the New Testament, and he may be one of them, but we just don’t know.

John is not afraid to express his love for his brother in Christ. In Greek the phrase is ‘Gaius the beloved.’

John is praying for Gaius to prosper and that he would enjoy good health. Gaius was already prospering in his spirit and John was praying the rest of his life would match up. ‘I pray that you will prosper and be healthy, just like your soul is prospering.’

I guess I am just touched by personal nature of John’s words. I am also impressed that Gaius was already prospering spiritually when John prayed for his prosperity in others areas.

I realise of course that our primary motivation is to ‘seek ye first the kingdom of God’ but I think it is good to note that John saw nothing wrong with praying that God would take care of Gaius’ needs and for his health.

That being the case I think it is good to be reminded that it is okay to pray that a new business venture would succeed. It is okay to pray that God would provide a good job. In fact it is okay to pray that whatever a friend is doing, within God’s will, will prosper and it is good to pray for one another’s health.

So let's enjoy praying for each other's prosperity!

No comments: