Sunday 5 July 2015

On threescore years

The LORD is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble; And He knoweth those who trust in Him. – Nahum 1.7

Sixty years old today – wow. There is threescore years of my ‘threescore and ten’ done. I know that is just an idea of age, but it is a reminder that old age is not all that far away. When I was a child the average life expectancy for a man was only 65 years. I am glad it is a little bit longer than that now.

But really who knows how much longer we have? I haven’t a clue. I feel good, I walk everyday, my knees ache, but very little is obviously wrong. Chances are I have a good few years left – but who knows what the future holds?

One thing is certain – I am not going to live as long as I have lived.

But that is not all that it is certain. It is also true that no matter how little or how long I have left, no matter how much good news or bad news I get, no matter how we much we struggle, no matter whether the days are full of happiness or the days are full of sadness Nahum 1.7 is still true. No matter what happens:

The Lord is still good
The Lord is still my stronghold in the hard times
The Lord is still going to know me

That preaches so easy, but it lives so hard. But is only lives hard when I don’t really trust what my God says. It only lives hard when I think I know best. It only lives hard when my pride swells up and I tell God through my actions or attitudes that I know better than He does.

So by God’s grace may I draw closer to Him day by day by day. May I use this occasion to renew my efforts to serve Him more and more and while it is still day. Because He is good and His is my stronghold and He knows me may I be ever and always steadfast, immoveable, and always abound in His work because nothing done for Him is in vain.

No comments: