Wednesday 29 July 2015

The rainbow

And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. – Genesis 9.12-16

The rainbow is such a beautiful, amazing, and enchanting sight. We are lucky in Ireland that we have so many beautiful rainbows. They are often bright and brilliant and clear and sometimes double or even triple. They are used in advertising and promotions. Supposedly there is a crock of gold at the end of a rainbow. Americans associate rainbows with leprechauns and Lucky Charms cereal plays on the whole Irish, leprechaun, rainbow theme even though we can’t get them here unless we are willing to pay a fortune.

The rainbow has been used by everything from military divisions to gay pride groups. And you can’t blame anyone because they really are amazing.

But for us as believers the rainbow has a special meaning. It is a reminder of God’s special covenant with us that He will never again destroy the world with a flood. But attendant with that is the accompanying promise that God is in control because if he were not in control He could not make that promise.

So no matter how the rainbow is used I can keep seeing it as my promise that God is in control no matter what comes my way.

That includes at the present as I sit here in the CCU at Naas Hospital trying to see what is wrong with my heart. God knows it and He is controlling everything that comes my way.

1 comment:

Diva of Death said...

Rest in peace, Roger...and I mean in His arms...👅 not underground. You are covered in prayers, I haven't been able to visit you yet... there's so much we have yet to do. . . I love you, my dear friend.