Saturday 12 September 2015

The believed...and worshipped

So the people believed; and when they heard that the LORD had visited the children of Israel and that He had looked on their affliction, then they bowed their heads and worshipped. – Exodus 4.31

So the people believed.

What a powerful statement because this is the first step on man’s part of establishing a relationship between God and man. God does His part. He steps in. He comes to man. He ‘visits in their affliction.’ He does His bit.

Then man must believe.

This is the turning point. This is when God becomes personal. ‘Whoever believes in Him shall not perish…’ ‘Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.’ God does the work. He visits man. And all man has to do is believe.

And when they believed they bowed their heads and worshipped. True worship only comes when we believe.

This really challenged me today. There are times when I am in situations that seem impossible and I don’t see way out that I fret and worry and become anxious and care-ful. Despite all the promises of God I have a hard time believing that God can sort it out. It sounds harsh, but if I don’t worry about things that God has promised to take care of I really don’t believe.

But I still worship. Or want to worship. Or claim to worship.

That brings about a dilemma. How can I worship a God I can’t even believe? If I can’t trust God with my present situation or an uncertain and scary future is my worship going to be genuine and sincere?

Lord, I do believe. Help my unbelief so that I can truly worship You.


No comments: