Friday 30 October 2015

Show me Your glory

So the LORD said to Moses, "I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name." And he said, "Please, show me Your glory." Then He said, "I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." – Exodus 33.17-19

In this old world sometimes we can get lost in the darkness and tired in the troubles and weary of walking and only seeing bad and evil and wickedness. It seems like everywhere we turn we see only bad stuff.

And that is not all. In all of its ugliness the world has an appeal to our flesh and our lusts. Those things draw our eyes and tempt us to turn away from God. If we are not on guard we find our glory in our countries or our sports teams or our flags or friends or family or Facebook or video games or any number of things. We can even glory in our own works and efforts and accomplishments.

All of this glory is going to fall short of satisfaction. All of this glory is going to fail one day.

But Moses says ‘Lord, show me Your glory.’

What a wonderful focus for us to remember. Instead of seeing the earthly temporary stuff our focus should be on the glory of God. If we think in the light of God’s glory it makes all of this worthwhile. Paul reminded of this when we said ‘For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.’

The glory of God is all that matters.

‘But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD’


Let’s pray with Moses that God would show us His glory as we walk through this world today. 

No comments: