Thursday 26 November 2015

God is not a man - thank God

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good? Behold, I have received commandment to bless: and he hath blessed; and I cannot reverse it.  – Numbers 23.19-20

I have been privileged to know many great and godly men in my lifetime. There are a lot of men who have played a role in making me the man I am today. I am grateful for the many great men who I have known.

But not one of those men was perfect. They all were flawed and they all made mistakes. I saw some of those flaws and mistakes. It only proved that even the best men are still men.

That’s why I am glad that we read a verse that says ‘God is not a man.’

God is not a man – he cannot lie.
God is not a man – he cannot reverse His promises
God is not a man – he will do what he says
God is not a man – he will make good on his promises

God is not a man. What a blessing. That means that God cannot fail in His promises. He will do what He says.

God said He would save me and He did. He said He will take me to heaven and He will. He said He will take care of me. He has and He will. He said I need not worry about the future and I need to not worry.

God is not a man. He cannot let me down.


Today is Thanksgiving in America. I have a lot to be thankful for, more than I can name. But for the purpose of this reflection might I say that I am thankful that my God is not a man. 

No comments: