Tuesday 24 November 2015

More stubborn than a jackass

And the ass saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and the ass turned aside out of the way, and went into the field: and Balaam smote the ass, to turn her into the way. But the angel of the LORD stood in a path of the vineyards, a wall being on this side, and a wall on that side. And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall: and he smote her again. And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left. And when the ass saw the angel of the LORD, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff. And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times? And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee. And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay. Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.
(Num 22:23-31)– Numbers 22.23-31

Sometimes when we read the scriptures one would think that God has a sense of humour. When I read this and imagine it in my head it makes me chuckle. It is the account of how God use a dumb ass, the epitome of stubbornness, to deal with an even more stubborn man.

Balaam had chosen to not go where God told him to go. He was headed in another direction because he thought he knew best. Balaam was a stubborn guy, and he was about to learn a lesson in stubbornness.

As he headed on his way his donkey suddenly stopped. Balaam was too stubborn to see the angel but his dumb ass did.

Then things really got weird. The donkey stopped and Balaam hit him. Three times it happened. Then the donkey spoke ‘why do you keep hitting me?’ That’s bad enough, but Balaam talks back to the donkey. After what must be one of the strangest conversations in history God opened Balaam’s eyes and he saw the angel.

Eventually Balaam admitted his sin and obeyed God.

Crazy story, huh? But how often are we too stubborn to do things God’s way. How often does God have to go to extraordinary measures to get our attention? I have never had a donkey talk to me, but there are times I can be so stubborn that God directly intervenes to wake me up and get me on the right track.


Praise Him that He cares enough to do it. S

No comments: