Thursday 17 December 2015

The faithful God

Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations; - Deuteronomy 7.9

‘The Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, who keeps His promises and His mercy to a thousand generations.’

What blessing those words are. God is a faithful God. That means that God is God and He will always do what He says He will do. Faithfulness is part of who God is by His very nature.

That faithfulness means a lot. It means that the God who called me to salvation and salved me is faithful to keep me saved to the very end. I love Paul’s words to the Thessalonians regarding this - ‘And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.’ Because God is faithful, and because He is I need not fear what will happen to my salvation.

But God is also faithful to keep His promises. He is always faithful to do exactly what He says my needs. He is faithful to provide my needs. He is faithful to protect me. He is faithful to carry me through the most difficult struggles.

And for me, God’s faithfulness means He has my future covered. I needed not trust my own strength or my own ability because I simply trust God to be faithful to His promises. 

No comments: