Tuesday 1 December 2015

They still did not believe

Then I said unto you, Dread not, neither be afraid of them. The LORD your God which goeth before you, he shall fight for you, according to all that he did for you in Egypt before your eyes; And in the wilderness, where thou hast seen how that the LORD thy God bare thee, as a man doth bear his son, in all the way that ye went, until ye came into this place. Yet in this thing ye did not believe the LORD your God, - Deuteronomy 1.29-32

Why do we have such a hard time believing? What gets in the way of true belief?

Whatever it is it is nothing new. The Israelites had the same problem.

God promised to go before them
God promised to fight for them
God did all that He said
God carried them along
God stayed faithful until they reached the land

We would think that would be enough.

But then we read ‘Yet in this thing ye did not believe the LORD your God ‘

How could they not believe when they saw what God had promised and what He had done. He had done it over and over and over again and still they did not believe God. That causes a problem because according to a passage I read not that long ago before we can worship we have to believe. Belief is key. We really can’t please God unless we believe Him.

At my age there is a lot about the future that makes me nervous. Humanly speaking I don’t have a great retirement plan. As I look down the road the next 20-30 years I can get anxious about how we are going to do it. Trusting God in this area is hard for me. I want to know how it is going to work out and I want to do something to sort it out. 

Admitting that is tough because it means I am not much better than these Israelites. They saw God and didn’t believe. In this area there are times when I can not believe in spite of seeing all that God has done.


Every time we see God work or meet and need to provide in some marvellous way it ought to increase our belief. Lord, I really do believe. Please help my unbelief. 

No comments: