Sunday 3 January 2016

God is your life

That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.  – Deuteronomy 30.20

Today’s thought ties into yesterday’s challenge to choose life because now we find out exactly what life is. Moses says ‘cleave to Him, because He is your life.’ This is not just an Old Testament principle of the Law –‘When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.’ (Colossians 3.4)

But as we look at this we need to ask ourselves ‘what is our life?’ Everyone could look at the lives and have a variety of answers to answer ‘what is my life?’ Some might answer ‘my kids are my life’ or ‘my work in my life’ or ‘rugby is my life’ or 'my spouse is my life’ or ‘my career is my life’ or whatever.

There is nothing wrong with those things  - but not as our life. Our life is whatever we give our all to, and only One is worthy of that kind of attention.

God is our life. Full stop.

Since, not if, God is our life He is worthy of our focus. He is worth following. He is worth obeying. He worth our time and effort. He is worth our prioritising.

Is Christ really my life as I start 2016? Have I determined to know nothing but Christ and Him crucified?

What is my life today?

No comments: