Friday 8 January 2016

The Lord alone led him

He found him in a desert land, and in the waste howling wilderness; he led him about, he instructed him, he kept him as the apple of his eye. As an eagle stirreth up her nest, fluttereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her wings, taketh them, beareth them on her wings: So the LORD alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with him. He made him ride on the high places of the earth, that he might eat the increase of the fields; and he made him to suck honey out of the rock, and oil out of the flinty rock; - Deuteronomy 32.10-13

What is the answer to all of the problems we face? How do we get through all the struggles?

Israel surely must have asked the same question in the howling wilderness. How are we going to survive 40 years of this. They were tempted, and sometimes gave in to the idea that they could do it themselves, but they could never do it.

These wilderness wanderings a are a real picture of living a normal life full of victories and defeats and joys and sorrows and good and bad and right choices and poor choices. As we live our lives we face situations and decisions just like they did.

The Israelites made it, despite their difficulties, only made it because the Lord alone led them. As we live our Christian lives we too need to make sure that we have the right leadership. The only way to live a successful Christian life is by following the Lord’s leadership alone.

If I follow my flesh I will fail. If I follow the world’s ever changing counsel it will fail. If I follow worldly wisdom it will fail. If I follow any other false gods in my life they will fail.


The Lord alone is my only source of leadership that is going to carry me though. May it be said of me at the end of my days – ‘the Lord alone led Roger, and there was no strange God with him.’ 

No comments: