Saturday 6 February 2016

The courage of a woman

And Barak said unto her, If thou wilt go with me, then I will go: but if thou wilt not go with me, then I will not go. And she said, I will surely go with thee: notwithstanding the journey that thou takest shall not be for thine honour; for the Lord shall sell Sisera into the hand of a woman. And Deborah arose, and went with Barak to Kedesh. – Joshua 4.8-9

We get to read a lot about godly women in the word of God. So many of women are used by God in so many special ways as mothers and teachers. Some are known for their servant's hearts. Many are seen as godly wives standing my their husbands. We read about a woman named Jael who nailed an enemy kings head to the ground. The Bible certainly is not lacking when it comes to great women.

But here we have a woman who stands out as a real hero. Her courage is an example to all. Her name is Deborah and she was the only female judge in Israel. Her leadership is a great example of how God sometimes uses women outside of the more traditional roles.

Deborah was judge and Barak was her general. Israel was in the middle of one of her seven cycles of sin and Deborah commissioned her general Barak to go out and fight the enemy.

But he wouldn’t go – ‘I won’t go unless you go with me.’

So she said ‘ ‘I’ll go, but for all of history people will know that a woman killed Sisera.’ That must have crushed his male ego, but he did it they won the battle and she rightfully got the credit.

Deborah is a great example of truly trusting God. Barak was afraid to go – but Deborah wasn’t. God rewarded her faith and we have the record of it.

Praise God for her example to all of God’s servants.

No comments: