Friday 11 March 2016

He is the Lord

Then Eli called Samuel and said, "Samuel, my son!" He answered, "Here I am." And he said, "What is the word that the LORD spoke to you? Please do not hide it from me. God do so to you, and more also, if you hide anything from me of all the things that He said to you." Then Samuel told him everything, and hid nothing from him. And he said, "It is the LORD. Let Him do what seems good to Him." – 1 Samuel 3.16-18

I am the kind of guy who likes to be in control. When I walk into a situation I usually have a plan of some sort about exactly how it should go and if I am not careful I can even jump in to sort it out.  If God isn't doing it my way I am even tempted to sort it myself.

Eli had had enough of that though. He had, in our modern parlance, blown it. He knew that he had messed up by doing things on his own.

He finally comes to the conclusion ‘He is God, let Him do whatever He thinks is best.’

It is a shame that it took such a mess in his family to come to this conclusion. How much things would have been different if Eli had had the ‘let the Lord do what seems good to Him’ earlier.

I get frustrated at myself when I try to outguess or outplan or outfigure or outwise God. I am not good without God – God is all good. I am not holy apart from Christ – He is all-Holy. I am not wise – God is alone wise.

Why then do I have such a hard time with ‘the Lord is God, let Him do what is good to Him’?

The Lord is good, He is a stronghold in the day of trouble, and He knows those who trust Him.

Can’t we trust Him to do what is good?

No comments: