Wednesday 9 March 2016

Speak Lord

Now the Lord came and stood and called as at other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel answered, “Speak, for Your servant hears.” – 1 Samuel 3.10

This is one of those great Bible stories that we teach our children and that never lose their impact or importance.

Samuel was still young and serving in the temple with Eli. While he was sleeping one night he heard someone call his name. He naturally assumed that it must be Eli so he went to him. ‘It wasn’t me, go back to bed.’

The same thing happened a couple more times. Finally Eli said ‘go back to bed and if you hear the voice again say ‘speak Lord, for your servant hears you.’

And he does hear it again. And He does say ‘speak Lord for your servant hears.’ And God talks to him.

God spoke to Samuel because he was listening. His listening shows a willingness to follow.

I wish I would listen with the same intensity as Samuel. If I was really listening with God I would never worry or fret because He reminds me every time I do that He has it sorted. I would never allow temptation to linger because I know it doesn't please God. If I really listened I could live in the peace that passes all understanding.

Speak Lord – and help me listen like Samuel.

This Stuart Townend hymn is a little long, but it's words speak the message of ‘speak Lord’ far better than I could.


Speak, O Lord, as we come to You
To receive the food of your holy word.
Take Your truth, plant it deep in us;
Shape and fashion us in Your likeness,
That the light of Christ might be seen today
In our acts of love and our deeds of faith.
Speak, O Lord, and fulfil in us
All Your purposes, for Your glory.

Teach us Lord full obedience,
Holy reverence, true humility.
Test our thoughts and our attitudes
In the radiance of Your purity.
Cause our faith to rise
Cause our eyes to see,
Your majestic love and authority.
Words of power that can never fail;
Let their truth prevail over unbelief.

Speak, O Lord, and renew our minds;
Help us grasp the heights of Your plans for us.
Truths unchanged from the dawn of time,
That will echo down through eternity.
And by grace we'll stand on Your promises;
And by faith we'll walk as You walk with us.
Speak, O Lord, 'til your church is built
And the earth is filled with Your glory.

Stuart Townend & Keith Getty
Copyright © 2005 Thankyou Music

No comments: