Friday 20 May 2016

Because He delighted in me

"He sent from above, He took me, He drew me out of many waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy, From those who hated me; For they were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity, But the LORD was my support. He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me. – 2 Samuel 22.17-20

It is a great and wonderful truth that God will deliver me and does deliver me. That should give me great joy every day of my life. I ought to wake up every day with the words of my lips and in my heart ‘God saves me!’

But just in case that is not enough David takes it one step further – ‘because He delighted in me.’

Wait – did I hear that right? God delivered me BECAUSE He delighted in me?  How does that work? How can a righteous and holy God delight in a world of sinners?

Because God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son. His delight is seen in the fact that while we were still lost sinners He loved us. We only love Him because He first loved us. He rejoices over His people with joy. He rests in His love for His people. He joys over us with singing.

God delights in His creation so much that He desires all men to come to repentance and offers His free gift of salvation to all who trust Him. He also delights in His children and wants us to walk in fellowship with Him.

Praise God for his delights and that He delivers us because He does delight in us.

No comments: