Wednesday 13 July 2016

The Lord reigns

Tremble before Him, all the earth.
The world also is firmly established,
It shall not be moved.
Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad;
And let them say among the nations, “The Lord reigns.” - 1 Chronicles 16:30-31

I know it is about as far from Christmas as it can be, but as I read through this passage I thought about the Christmas hymn ‘I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.’

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!

I am especially moved by the phrase ‘in despair I bowed my head: ‘there is no peace on earth.’ I said. ‘For hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth, good will to men.’

It does seem today that hate is strong. Social media gives hatred a whole new platform and people are more able than ever to express their hatred. Violence begets more violence and on and on and on. We hate over skin colour and political views and nationality and religion and that hatred seems to blame everyone else for everything.

But we need to remember that ‘God is not dead nor doth He sleep. The wrong shall fail, and the right will prevail.’

God still reigns. Our world is broken by sin, but God has provided a solution though Jesus Christ. The day will come when Jesus will return to set things right, but even while we wait for that God is in control. His children can rest in the knowledge that evil cannot win because God is still on the throne

No comments: