Wednesday 17 August 2016

God wasn't done with them

So the elders of the Jews built, and they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and Zechariah the son of Iddo. And they built and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel, and according to the command of Cyrus, Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia. – Ezra 6.14

The word of God has great power to work in the hearts and minds of God’s people. After Haggai and Zechariah preached the people built. Not only did they build but they prospered through the preaching. Not only did they build and prosper but the finished the work.

These folks had a renewed purpose. That alone is encouraging because it reminds me that God isn’t done with us when we get off track and our fervour dies off. I know several people who were saved young, got distracted by the world or their or flesh or the wiles of the devil, but eventually came back to the Lord and did an amazing job serving Him. When I was first saved I was really excited about my salvation and loved telling people about the Lord and fellowshipping with other believers and serving God. However, I slowly fell back into my old ways. God would have been justified in just casting me off, but He didn’t. He was there and after about eighteen months He drew me back to Him. Since then my days have not been perfect, but I feel like I have generally prospered in serving Him.

When we blow it, get off track, and backslide lets remember the nation that laid God aside for fourteen years but returned to the work and prospered. Let's also think about those who may be in that same situation and pray and love and be there for them.

No comments: