Tuesday 27 September 2016

Job as a father

So it was, when the days of feasting had run their course, that Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, “It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did regularly. – Job 1.5

The things that Job did without the spiritual helps we have today amaze and challenge me every time I read them. He was truly the family patriarch. He knew that he was responsible for all the family’s needs.

He knew amongst other things that among his responsibilities was the spiritual needs of his family. After days of feasting and celebration Job sanctified his family, and every morning he got up early and offered sacrifices for them just in case they ‘sinned and cursed God in their hearts.’

Obviously that doesn’t sound a lot like what we imagine as godly fathering today, but the basic fact that he took responsibility for his family’s spiritual is a great challenge to me.

As time goes on this fatherly responsibility will be seen under the law as father’s are told to teach their children diligently. In the church age fathers are still instructed to bring their children up in the ‘nurture and admonition of the Lord.’

I trust that Christian fathers today have the same kind of heart for their families today as Job did. I hope that we can all pray like he did for his family.

My children are all grown, but I still strive to pray for them daily. I have grandchildren for whom I could do nothing more important that to pray for them.

Please Lord, make me a Job-like father and grandfather.

No comments: