Wednesday 5 October 2016

Though he slay me

Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.
Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him. – Job 13.15

He is one of the great statements of faith in all of the word of God. Job was in absolute despair. He felt alone and abandoned. He must have been tempted to give up on God.

But in the middle of that desperation we see one of the greatest declarations of faith in all the word of God – ‘even if God kills me I will trust Him.’

Now that’s faith. It is raw faith. It is the kind of faith that rejects the situations and circumstances and says ‘I don’t care what is going on. I don’t care what I can see. I will trust God even to the point of death.’

This little statement is an incredible challenge to me. It shows me the kind of man that Job really was and it forces me to question the reality of my own faith.

How many of us can say that we really trust God to the point of death? We say that we trust God for eternity – why then is it so hard to trust Him for today and tomorrow and the next day and next week and next year and ten years from now? Why do we have such a hard time trusting God when things are not clear or we can’t understand how God is working?

‘Even if God kills me I will trust Him?’

How about if we lose a job? How about if we get sick? How about if loved ones die? How about if we can’t see how God is going to provide for our future? How about when that devastating letter or email or phone call or text arrives? Do we trust God then?

It is easy to say ‘I will trust God no matter what, even if He chooses to kill me.’ But it is hard to live that out when money is short to pay the bills or we hear the word leukaemia, or the boss tells us she doesn’t need us, or we can’t pay the rent, or whatever.

Though there is no money to pay the rent, yet will I trust Him?
Though I just found out my child has cancer, yet will I trust Him?
Though I’ve just lost everything, yet will I trust Him?
Though he kill me, yet will I trust Him?

No comments: