Wednesday 16 November 2016

I will call upon the Lord

I will love You, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
My God, my strength, in whom I will trust;
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;
So shall I be saved from my enemies. - Psalm 18.1-3

The psalms are a great source of encouragement and reminders to us when we start to get anxious about what is going on around us. David wrote about how he dealt with the opposition around him.

Here, for example, David starts the psalm with the simple declaration that he is going to love God. He is a determination about what he is going to do. Even when opposed and attacked and surrounded or how things seem in his eyes he has determined to love God.

He gives a lot of reasons for that choice. God is his rock of stability, his fortress of protection, his deliverer, his strength, his trust, his shield and salvation and his stronghold.

So in his despair and the midst of his trouble and fear, and based on his decision to love the Lord no matter what David says ‘I will call upon the Lord who is worthy to be praised and then I will be delivered from my enemies.

There is a deliverance from all this wackiness and evil and brokenness – call on Him who is worthy to praised and choose to love Him no matter what comes our way.

No comments: