Thursday 17 November 2016

Let the words of our mouths...

Moreover by them Your servant is warned, And in keeping them there is great reward. Who can understand his errors? Cleanse me from secret faults. Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins; Let them not have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, And I shall be innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.  – Psalm 19.11-14

Psalm 19 is a wonderful psalm about how God reveal Himself to the world. We read of how creation itself reveals God to us in what we call natural revelation. We read about how God reveals himself through special revelation in His word. We also read how God reveals Himself to man through our Redeemer as the One who can cleanse us and make us innocent of what David calls ‘the great transgression.’

Those are nearly incomprehensible truths, but a day with growing anger and rancour and discord something else stuck out to me today. Its is David’s prayer at the very end when he prays ‘let the word of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight.’

The ‘meditation of our hearts’ and the ‘words of our mouths’ are inextricably tied together. Our hearts are the source of our words. Our words reveal our hearts. It seems like nearly all sense or politeness and decorum and decency in our speech have flown out the window.

As God's children we must be sure that our words are different. We must be sure that our words reveal God by our testimonies.

So in this psalm we see God revealed through creation. We see Him revealed the His word. We see Him revealed through His son.

And we ought to see Him revealed though our speech.

So let the words of OUR mouths and the meditations of OUR hearts be acceptable in God’s sight.

No comments: