Wednesday 14 December 2016

Be still and know

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The LORD of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah – Psalm 46.10-11

What in the world is going on? How did the old world get where it is today? What is going on and what are we going to do? What is going to happen when the UK leaves the EU? What is going to happen in the US under the new president? What am I going to do when I get older? How am I going to pay the light bill? How am I am going to handle this illness? How will I get through the death of my loved one? How am I going to…?

Things like this confuse and confound us. We want to try and see what we can do to sort it out. We can even run ahead of God in our haste to try and get something done.

But God simply says ‘be still and know that I am God.’

The point comes when we must say ‘I don’t know what to do. I am going to take my hands off, be still, and trust that God is indeed God.’

Habakkuk had a time like that. When he asked God why so much evil was going on, God said he was right and that He would judge Israel with the Assyrians. They he could not understand how God would use them.

But then God worked on his heart and he said ‘I can’t figure this out, but I am going to sit down and watch to see what God is going to do.’


Sometimes that is all we can do. If we can’t figure it out and can’t see where it is going or how we are going to solve it sometimes we need to just be still and remember that God is who is says He is and will do what He says He will do. 

No comments: