Saturday 24 December 2016

I will not fear

Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God (I will praise His word), In God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me? – Psalm 56.3-4

‘Fear not, for I bring you good tidings of great joy’ goes nicely on this Christmas Eve.
It was a good time for it because the shepherds were surely startled as they watched their sheep and this vast heavenly multitude suddenly appeared. It was the kind of thing that happens to us that causes sudden fear. But the angels were bringing ‘good tidings of great joy.’

We need those same words all the time though. I sorts of things happen to startle us or make us afraid. Some of those midnight thoughts do the same – the cause fear to enter into our hearts and minds.

When that happens we have no more need to fear than the angels did. We can say, like the psalmist – ‘whenever I am afraid I will trust in You.’

Fear vs faith. Isn’t that the great dilemma for God’s people?

If we really trust God what is there to fear? Can we fear man if we trust God? Can we fear circumstances it we are trusting God? Can we fear the future if we are trusting God?

God doesn’t give us a spirit of fear. God’s perfect love always casts out fear. How then can I fear what man, or flesh, or anything else can do to me?

No comments: