Sunday 11 December 2016

Your light and your truth

Oh, send out Your light and Your truth! Let them lead me; Let them bring me to Your holy hill And to Your tabernacle.  – Psalm 43.3

‘The whole world is lost in the darkness of sin.’ The old question ‘what is truth’ seems to be the world’s motto.

No light. No truth. How are we going to find our way?

Way, way back I was on an Order of the Arrow weekend in Scouts. The Order of the Arrow was a prestige award for Eagle Scouts. As part of the ordeal the leaders would take you an old dirt road and drop you with the most basic of supplies in the dark. You had no map, no compass, and no light. Your task was to make it back to camp by noon the next day. I have no idea how far it was, but I do remember the feeling of absolute lostness as I tried to make my way back.

When I think about crawling through the woods on my hands and knees feeling for the moss on the north side of the trees I think I get an image of where the world is today.

But the world need not be there. There is light and there is true guidance. We don’t need to crawl through the dirt feeling for the moss so can we can know which way is north.

We have the word of God as a light for our feet and a lamp for our path. We have Jesus as the way, the truth, and the life to guide us through these terribly confusing days.

With Facebook feeds and Twitter follows and newscasts and entertainments icons and sports heroes and peer pressure all vying for our attention and affection we need something to trust in order to make it through.


Stop crawling in darkness. Walk in the light. Stop walking in confusion. Walk in the truth. Walk in truth until we reach God’s ‘holy hill.’ 

No comments: