Tuesday 31 January 2017

Old age

Those who are planted in the house of the Lord
Shall flourish in the courts of our God.
They shall still bear fruit in old age;
They shall be fresh and flourishing,
To declare that the Lord is upright;
He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him. – Psalm 92.13-15

I keep saying that I am not old yet. That is true. They say that 60 is the new 40 so if that is the case I am just in middle age.

But I at the point where, on a clear day, if the conditions are just right, I can see old age on the horizon. It is still a bit fuzzy – but there it is.

However, I can certainly feel it on the way.

Sometimes when I get up and it is easier to count the places that don’t ache instead of the ones that do I start to think and contemplate on the future. I know that unless some kind of tragedy befalls me I probably have at least 20-25 years left to get old.

I wonder on those mornings what I am possibly going to do over those next couple of decades. What kind of service will I be doing in 2030? What use will I be to God in 2035?

I frankly don’t know. I, of course, don’t know if I will be here. But I can know this. God can use me even then.God’s saints will flourish in His courts. But I can also rest that I can still bear fruit in my old age and still be fresh and flourishing.

There is no place for God’s people to stop as we get older. We still are to be steadfast, unmoveable, and abounding in His work. We can’t get weary in well doing. Our labour is not in vain. In due season we shall reap and flourish and bear fruit even in the later years. We keep in the race we are called to keeping our eyes on Jesus.

Just keep going. Fruitful years are ahead.

No comments: