Sunday 12 February 2017

All the days of my life

I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.
May my meditation be sweet to Him;
I will be glad in the Lord. – Psalm 104.33-34

We saw yesterday that our days are like the grass of the field passing on quickly and then blown away like the dust.

Our days are indeed short. The Bible talks about life spans of 70-80 years and even today that still is a pretty accurate picture of how long we can expect to live. 70-80 years can seem like forever until that time span get to be in sight. Let me assure that the years pass by in a flash.

So it really matters what we do with those years. Are we going to spend them in trivial and vain pursuits or are we going to use them wisely in the real fellowship with  and in the service of our Lord?

David said ‘as long as I live I will sing to the Lord and sing praises to His name. May my meditation be sweet and may I be glad in Him.’ As long as I live.

What a commitment from a man of God. What a challenge to my own heart. I don’t really have time to waste the time I have in self centredness and self focus. Let me spend all my days in praising Him.

The problem is that I can’t do that if I don’t trust Him and I can’t trust Him if I spend my life trusting me to sort things out.

With trust comes the ability to sing praises and meditate on Him – all the days of my life.

No comments: