Saturday 4 February 2017

Day by day

Oh, sing to the LORD a new song! Sing to the LORD, all the earth. Sing to the LORD, bless His name; Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day. Declare His glory among the nations, His wonders among all peoples. For the LORD is great and greatly to be praised; He is to be feared above all gods. – Psalm 96.1-4

What is the most important thing in our lives? What dominates our lives and thoughts and conversation and emotions and feelings from day to day?

Let me think about me. I love politics. I always have. Right now that is a bad things because there is so much politics that it is easy for that to dominate by days. What is going on today? What did this politician or that leader do yesterday? What is going on? I love it.

I like sports. Not like I used to love sports, but I still do. Six Nations rugby starts today. I am excited. It is my favourite sporting event and it will occupy a lot of the next few weeks. Fun times.

Of course, living in Ireland it goes without saying that I talk about the weather. Enough said.

We talk about work and our families and all kinds of things.

But are we faithfully proclaiming the salvation of the Lord day by day by day? Is Christ part of our everyday conversation? Does this describe you and me?

Sing to the Lord a new song! Bless the name of the Lord! Proclaim His salvation everyday. Declare God’s glory and His wonders and His praise.

Man, as I see that list I am smitten with conviction. Sure, I don’t deny my Lord, and if the opportunity presents itself I am happy to talk about Him. But do I, indeed do we, speak of God and His salvation day after day after day?

We talk about what is really important to us, and what is more important than our relationship to our God?

Lord, remind me everyday to speak of you everyday and help me to yield to the Holy Spirit when He speaks in my heart. Make me a witness.

No comments: