Thursday 2 February 2017

God as our teacher

Blessed is the man whom You instruct, O Lord, And teach out of Your law, That You may give him rest from the days of adversity, Until the pit is dug for the wicked. – Psalm 94.12-13

I always pause when I read anything about teaching. Being a teaching I will read nearly anything about teaching or teaches and students or any aspect of pedagogy. Not only that, I love teaching. Of all the joys of teaching the greatest is hearing from my former students who are now adults contacting me to thank me for being their teacher.

Here we read about the most wonderful teacher of all. ‘Blessed is the man You teach O Lord.’ We think of God has our God and our Lord and our Creator and our Shepherd and our Rock and our Shield, but how often do we think about Him as our teacher?

We should. People called Jesus ‘Teacher’ and when He prepared to leave He told us He would leave the Holy Spirit as our teacher. The prayer is that God would teach us out of His word and that because we are His students He will give us rest no matter what is going on around us.

The Lord is my teacher. The teacher/student relationship is one of the most special there is. I need to ask myself what kind of student I am.

No comments: