Friday 24 February 2017

I am your servant

O Lord, truly I am Your servant;
I am Your servant, the son of Your maidservant;
You have loosed my bonds.
I will offer to You the sacrifice of thanksgiving,
And will call upon the name of the Lord. – Psalm 116.12-17

Being a servant is not something most of us would choose to do. The idea of being subject to someone else’s whims and desires certainly doesn’t appeal to me. War have been fought to free people from servanthood.

And yet this is a term that is prominent throughout the word of God. ‘The servant of the Lord’ is an honoured title. Over and over again Paul refers to himself as the ‘bondservant’ of the Lord.

The great problem lies in the fact that we are all servants. We either serve self, sin, and Satan or we serve Christ. Salvation frees us from the power of sin over us. It can no longer be our master. We have a new Master in Christ and serving Him should be a joy because we serve a Master who only loves us and desires what is best for us.

Jesus has indeed loosed us from the bonds of sin and lovingly accepts us as His servants instead.

While there is only misery and emptiness in serving sin there is joy in serving Jesus.

Jesus Himself to took on the form of a servant – make me a servant like Jesus.

No comments: