Friday 17 February 2017

It was God who did it

Help me, O Lord my God!
Oh, save me according to Your mercy,
That they may know that this is Your hand—
That You, Lord, have done it!
Let them curse, but You bless;
When they arise, let them be ashamed,
But let Your servant rejoice. – Psalm 109.26—29

Help me O Lord…that they may know that You have done it.

I love it when God answers prayer and helps us and works in such a way that it is obvious that only God could have done it.

The clearest example of this kind of work is the very work of salvation from sin. When God works in salvation it is obviously God’s work. Only He could not only change a life, but create a new person. Only He could not only transform a life, but make a new life.

Time after time throughout history God has taken the very worst of society and created a new life in Him. God took a violent, vicious, vile slave trader and made him the author of ‘Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.’ God took a killer of Christians and participant in the first martyrdom and made him the greatest missionary the world has ever known.

One of the greatest picture I have ever seen in my life of God doing a work that only He could do was man. Growing up my dad was never a bad man, but at the same time he could be difficult to get along with. He could be very short and demanding and insistent on everything being done His way. He was never violent or abusive, but very demanding and short on praise.

But then the day came when he accepted Christ as His saviour. This rough, tough, gruff U.S. Army Master Sergeant was nearly overnight turned into a meek and gentle man. The man who was hard as nails become soft and pliable to the moulding of the Holy Spirit. The fighting soldier became a man of love and compassion.

At Dad's funeral my brother George made the point that anyone who knew my dad saw the change in his life when he became a believer.

My few Irish friends who met him only knew his as a meek and gentle spirit.

Indeed only God could have done that mighty work. There was no doubt in my dad’s life that it was ‘God who did it.’

No comments: