Monday 6 February 2017

The Lord has made known His salvation

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!
For He has done marvelous things;
His right hand and His holy arm have gained Him the victory.
The Lord has made known His salvation;
His righteousness He has revealed in the sight of the nations.
He has remembered His mercy and His faithfulness to the house of Israel;
All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth;
Break forth in song, rejoice, and sing praises. – Psalm 98.1-4

What a blessing to remember that God has made known to us His salvation. Without His making it known we would have no hope. God uses people to do it, but without the Holy Spirit making it known none of us would ever be drawn to the truth.

I remember the day that God made His salvation known to me. I grew up in Alabama and had heard the gospel many times. It made sense and all that and it seemed good, but until I went off to college and found an invitation to a Bible study that God made the truth known. Even the way I went was sent by Him. I saw a piece of paper on the ground and picked it up to bin it. It announced a Bible study in one of the basement of the beautiful library at Widener College in Chester, PA. I had nothing else going on, so I went, on what I thought was a whim but I now believe was God’s calling.

When I got to the Bible study the topic was about the love of God. I had a Bible my parents got me before I went to college. As the leader taught from 1 John 4 my eyes fell across the page on 1 John 5 and the words ‘these thing have I written to you that you can know you have eternal life.’ I sat there and realised that despite my church background I did not know that I had eternal life. The phrase before the one I saw says ‘these things I have written to those who believe. I then realised that I had never truly believed for myself the facts I knew.

So I did – right then and there I believed what God said, asked Christ to forgive my sins, and gave my life to Him.

God made His salvation known to me – and I was saved.

Thank God for making His salvation known. But if it had not been for that teacher being there leading the Bible study I may never have heard.

No comments: