Thursday 9 March 2017

I will hope in your word

My soul faints for Your salvation,
But I hope in Your word.
My eyes fail from searching Your word,
Saying, “When will You comfort me?”
For I have become like a wineskin in smoke,
Yet I do not forget Your statutes. – Psalm 119.81-83

It seems like every place where we might be tempted to put our hope is proving untrustworthy and futile. Some hope in governments. Some hope in possessions. Some hope in bank accounts. Some hope in their own abilities. Some hope in all kinds of things.

All of those things are going to fail. None of them are really worthy of al our hope. If that is what e hope in we are always going to be disappointed.

But there is one place for our hope that is never, ever going to fail. ‘I will hope in your word.’

We are seeing a lot about the word of God in Psalm 119. It is a blessing that the longest psalm is dedicated to aspects of the Bible. We can put our hope in the word of God because it is established is in heaven, because it is our light, because it endures forever, and on and on.

That means that if the Bible says it I can believe it. It means my hope is not in my meagre bank account, or my flag, or my abilities, or even in family and friends. My hope is in God’s word.

No comments: