Sunday 7 May 2017

Anxiety

Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, But a good word makes it glad.  - Proverbs 12:25

I have to say I have never noticed this passage before, but oh how profound it is. It says so much in so few words.

Anxiety in the heart of a man causes depression. Doesn’t that speak volumes? One of the great causes of depression is anxiety, or being full of cares, or worry. When I think about my dark days nearly every time they are caused by some kind of worry over some kind of uncertainty in the future.

I am one of those who has a battle with anxiety. I always have. It is an awful sin to deal with because if I am anxious about the future what it really means that I am not trusting God. It means that I am not believing the God who promises to take care of me. I could even be so blunt as to say that I am calling God a liar.

I need not be here. The word of God tells me that worry does nothing for me. It is not going to change anything. He tells me not to be full of cares. He tells me that instead of being care-ful about anything, but to take it all to God with a thankful heart and that God would give me His peace that passes understanding.

And that is the opposite of depression. Peace and depression are incompatible. If I trust God, and don’t just talk about, I won’t be anxious about the great unknown. And If I am not anxious, that will take care of a great deal of my depression.


That is the good news we need to make our hearts glad. 

No comments: