Thursday 11 May 2017

He who heeds the word

He who heeds the word wisely will find good, And whoever trusts in the LORD, happy is he. – Proverbs 16.20

This one really made me think – and that is always a good thing. He who heeds the word of God will find good. Whoever trusts in the Lord is happy.

I think about how many of my problems happen because I am not heeding the Lord. I far too often heed my own fears and my anxieties. I pay attention to all the bad news going on around me. I heed my circumstances and my situation instead of my Saviour.

How foolish can I possibly be? I know the word of God. I know it is true. I trust it. I claim I don’t doubt it.

But I still pay heed to those doubts and fears and anxieties that pop up at 2.48 or 3.23 or 4.12 in the morning. They grab my attention and I end up being miserable because of them.

God though has the answer – simply take heed to God’s word wisely. When all those other things reach out for my attention I can let them have it, or I can instead turn my attention to the word of God and His promises.

He will not fail me. He knows my needs. He will never leave me or forsake me. When I trust him I find the peace and happiness that eludes me when I am heeding everything else.


Lord, remind me to heed you and your word then everything else is clamouring for my attention. 

No comments: