Sunday 28 May 2017

My way

Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, For my heart rejoiced in all my labor; And this was my reward from all my labour. Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done And on the labour in which I had toiled; And indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun. Then I turned myself to consider wisdom and madness and folly; For what can the man do who succeeds the king?— Only what he has already done.  - Ecclesiastes 2:10-12

Solomon, like Old Blues Eyes’ song put it, did it his way. He had everything he wanted. He did want he wanted to do; he had regrets, but only a few. But most important of all when he searched all the highways and byways – he did it his way.

It may a little of a stretch to say that Solomon and Frank did exactly the same, but Solomon did things his way. We bought what he wanted. He did not deny himself any pleasure. He did his work and made good money. But, when he saw it all he asked ‘what more can a man do. This is all emptiness, it is vanity and grasping at the wind.

We can look back over the years at all of the ‘rich and famous’ who did it their way and at the end of the day found nothings. Life was so empty that many tragically have taken their own lives.

Even in the song you can sense that no matter what else happened he got to do it his way. Imagine a life lived where all that you can say at the end is ‘I did it all my way’ because there is a way that seem right to man, but the end is the way of death.


My way might be okay if this life was all that there was - but it really is vanity because it is only going to last for a few years. God’s way lasts forever and has eternal impact. 

No comments: