Friday 23 June 2017

The love banner

As the apple tree among the trees of the wood,
so is my beloved among the sons.
I sat down under his shadow with great delight,
and his fruit was sweet to my taste.
He brought me to the banqueting house,
and his banner over me was love. - Song of Songs 2:3-4

The bride here is rejoicing over the marvellous provision of her groom. She speaks of the things he does for her and also of the great love that flies over everything.

He brought me to the banquet house and his banner over me is love.

Here again I think we see a picture of the wonderful relation that Jesus has with us, the church, His bride. We look forward to His great provision of eternity with Him, but we also see daily provision that He provides.

But what sticks out to me is His motive. The thing that overrides everything else is that His banner over me is love. The flag that flies over my relationship with the Savour is love.

It is His love that sent Him to earth to live amongst men. It is His love that motivated Him to go to the cross in my stead. It is His love that drives Him to be with me today. It is love that allows Him to be my advocate before the Father. And it is His love that will have Him one day come and say ‘arise and come away.’

No comments: