Tuesday 27 June 2017

Whiter than snow

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord:
though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow;
though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
But if ye refuse and rebel,
ye shall be devoured with the sword:
for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it. - Isaiah 1:18-20

We could hardly blame God if He just decided to wipe it all out and start again. The whole Bible is a record of God’s people walking in rebellion against Him and turning from Him. No matter what God does for us, we seem to turn from Him.

Why not just give up on us?

Israel in Isaiah’s time was like that. They didn’t really care about God or His way or His desires. They were all about satisfying self. God had been dealing with this since He chose Israel.

But God still loved His people. He continued to reach out to them. He wanted them to come to Him. God reached out with an offer because man had not power to reach out to God. ‘Come to me with your sins’ God says and I will taken the darkness of sin and make you whiter than snow.

Our only hope to have our slates washed clean is through the blood of Christ. It is the only thing that makes sense. I know I am not perfect and I know that I cannot rectify my sins on my own. I can be made white as snow because Christ’s righteousness covers me and God sees only His perfection when it is imputed on me.

I may not always feel whiter than snow – but that is how God sees me because of Christ.

No comments: